November 19, 2012

Our Favorite SNL Sketch this Weekend That Never Even Aired

Usually, after Saturday Night Live airs each weekend, we post our favorite sketch or two and write about how great it was. This weekend however, we did no such post.  We just didn't feel that any of the sketches were blog-worthy in what was a somewhat mediocre show.  So instead of posting about my favorite sketch of the week, I was planning to write about my disappointment that a sketch that I wanted to see never aired at all.

Last week, The New York Times reviewed celebrity chef Guy Fieri's new restaurant in Times Square and gave it a hilariously horrible review.  And for the first time that I can remember, a restaurant review went viral and everyone was talking about it.  As soon as I read it, I immediately said "I can't wait to see Bobby's Guy Fieri talking about this on Weekend Update. This is gonna be great!".  And since that moment, I had been looking forward to SNL more than usual to see this inevitable sketch.  And yet, when the show aired and Weekend Update came on, there was no Guy.  The two Update guests were Jay Pharoah as Katt Williams and a surprise cameo by NJ Governor Chris Christie.  And while I enjoyed both appearances, I still couldn't figure out why SNL chose to air these two bits over Guy Fieri.  I was thinking maybe once they booked Chris Christie they bumped the Guy sketch, but why wouldn't they bump Katt Williams instead?  While it was a funny segment, far more people are familiar with Guy Fieri (who Bobby has hilariously impersonated many times before) and his his "review read 'round the world" than they are with comedian Katt Williams and his recent scandal.  I couldn't figure it out.  So I figured it must have gotten cut at Dress Rehearsal.  SNL's website often posts cut sketches on Sunday after the show, but when I checked the site on Sunday afternoon, while there was a cut sketch, there was no Guy Fieri.  Had SNL actually not written a Guy Fieri sketch at all?

                  The real Guy Fieri                                                    Bobby Moynihan as Guy Fieri on SNL















So I was planning to post about my anger over not getting to see Bobby as Guy responding to the review.  I was gonna  post an old Guy Fieri sketch to show how hilarious Bobby's impression was, and then hypothesize about what they could have done with the sketch   But then, out of nowhere, just as I had given up all hope, the Guy Fieri sketch actually appeared!  It apparently was cut from Dress Rehearsal and for whatever reason wasn't posted online until today.  And...it's just as great as I imagined it would be!  I still can't understand why this got cut over Katt Williams (or why they couldn't cut one of the other sketches to extend Weekend Update), but I'm just glad that the video exists and we finally get to watch Bobby Moynihan's hilarious Guy Fieri respond to the infamous NY Times Review.

So without further ado, here's the highly anticipated Guy Fieri sketch from Saturday Night Live:



And in case you're wondering how Guy actually responded to the review, here's his interview with Savannah Guthrie from the Today show:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

No comments:

Post a Comment