October 17, 2008

Official Review of Jimmy Fallon Show!

Wow, what a great show! The show opened with an opening act, who was a British comedian who was a contestant on Last Comic Standing. Unfortunately I forget his name, but he was really funny! He told a lot of great jokes, although it was kind of hard to understand his British accent.

Then Jimmy Fallon came out. He was wearing a Babson sweatshirt, which I guess was given to him when he got here. We had pretty good seats so we had a good view of the show. The doors opened at 8:30, and we arrived around 8:15 or so, and a long line had already formed, but by the time the doors opened the line was probably 3 times as long! We were kind of far back, but right on the center aisle, so we had a pretty good view.

Jimmy Fallon walked out with his guitar and opened with his hit song "Car Wash for Peace", which riled up the crowd. Here is the "Car Wash for Peace" music video:

See more Jimmy Fallon videos at Funny or Die
After that he did some great improv while talking to the audience members and making fun of random students, which is always fun. He then sang a medley of parodies related to "going green", in the styles of Justin Timberlake, Katy Perry, Snoop Dogg, Maroon 5, etc. He used to do similar parody medleys on SNL for various holidays on Weekend Update, so it was great to see him to do some new updated material. He then transitioned into one of our favorite SNL sketches of all time, The Barry Gibb Talk Show! He obviously didn't do the whole sketch with his brother Robin and the political guests, but he sang the song and talked in his hilarious Barry Gibb voice, so just seeing that live made the whole show worth it! Unfortunately, no one seemed to recognize the Barry Gibb impression, since I guess no one knows who he is, so he didn't keep it up for too long. He then called up an audience member, asked her a few questions, and made up a song about her on the spot!
Next he sang another one of his hit songs, "Idiot Boyfriend", which the crowd enjoyed as well. For some reason the video on YouTube is not letting me embed, so you can watch it on YouTube here. Jimmy then went into a slew of short celebrity impressions, including most of the pictures and videos that I posted in my anticipation post, including Jerry Seinfeld, Robin Williams, Gilbert Gotfried, Chris Rock, and Adam Sandler. I love his Adam Sandler impression! What it is so great about it is that no one ever impersonates Adam Sandler! He has such a crazy way of talking, and Jimmy Fallon really nails his impression. You can watch it on the Celebrity Jeopardy sketch that I posted in the previous blog. He then concluded with a sketch he previously performed on The Concert for New York, a tribute concert after the attacks of September 11. He sings shot snippets of various 80's songs to the tune of MC Hammer's "Can't Touch This". It's pretty cool! The video quality on this isn't great, but you'll get the idea.
So that was the show! It really was a great show and a lot of fun. Most of the material I had already seen before, which in a way was great cause I got to see him do the great material that I love, but at the same time I wish he did some newer stuff too. There was still some new material, plus the improv with the audience members, so that was really fun, but I would have liked a little more.

After the show, the best part...WE MET JIMMY FALLON! We waited outside the side door where his car was waiting, and we got his autograph and our picture taken with him! He's a really nice guy, and I'm glad I got to meet him. As most of you probably know by now, Jimmy Fallon will be taking over for Late Night after Conan O'Brien takes over for Jay Leno on The Tonight Show, so if he follows the same path as Conan, in 15 years or so Jimmy Fallon can be the new host of The Tonight Show! So in 20 years, when I tell my kid, "I saw Jimmy Fallon perform live in college and I got his autograph" it's like someone saying to me now "I met Jay Leno" or "I met David Letterman". Pretty cool! Anyway, it was a great show, and overall a great night! Thanks for coming to Babson, Jimmy Fallon!

No comments:

Post a Comment