January 5, 2013

Portlandia: SPOILER ALERT!

Last night was the much anticipated two-part 3rd season premier of the hit sketch comedy series Portlandia.  It was so great to have Fred, Carrie, Peter, Nance, Toni, Candace, the mayor, and all our other favorite Portlandia characters back on our TV screens.  One sketch that really stood out last night was "Spoiler Alert".  The sketch, which starts off with an actual Spoiler Alert disclaimer (as pictured above) perfectly captures the frustration endured when you're hanging out with some friends who mention a TV show that you aren't fully caught up on.  They want to tell you all about it, but you don't want to be spoiled.  As I've mentioned on this site before, I personally hate spoilers, and will go to extreme degrees to avoid them at all costs.  (While watching 30 Rock Thursday nights at 8:00, I have to close my eyes and "Lalala" when they show commercials for the upcoming Up All Night, The Office,and Parks & Rec so I don't have any jokes spoiled.  Also, if I miss SNL on Saturday night, I won't go on Facebook or Twitter until I watch it, to avoid any posts or tweets about the show)  While the sketch is hilarious, I should reiterate that you should not take the disclaimer lightly, as the sketch does actually feature spoilers for many hit shows such as Homeland, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey, The Wire, and even Boy Meets World!  Fortunately for me, despite my fear of spoilers, I only watch comedies, so I don't really plan to watch any of these dramatic shows (I know, I know, they're amazing and I should watch them, maybe some day).  And even if I did watch them, I know so little about the shows that none of the spoilers really meant anything to me.    And as for Boy Meets World, well, I've seen that a hundred times so nothing spoiled there.  Anyway, here's the sketch from Portlandia.  And remember, Spoiler Alert!


Portlandia airs Friday nights at 10:00pm on IFC!

No comments:

Post a Comment