December 14, 2008

Sitcom Moms & Dads: Jack Donaghy's Mom

Even before our long break from blogging, I had stopped doing "Sitcom Moms & Dads" for a while because A seemed to think it was a boring segment*. Well she's sleeping right now, so I'm going to do it anyway!
On this week's episode of 30 Rock, Jack (Alec Baldwin) once again received a visit from his mother, played by Elaine Stritch. While now she just seems like some old crazy lady, Elaine Stritch is actually quite famous, especially in the Broadway world. She became most famous for her starring role in the Broadway musical Company in 1970, and then in 2001 she starred in her own one woman show entitled Elaine Stritch at Liberty.

A short clip of Elaine Stritch's one woman show Elaine Stritch at Liberty:





*Edit: This is A. I have woken to find that J is accusing me of criticizing his segment. I thought the segment was well-written and interesting, but I had mentioned that it was slightly boring only because of the last sitcom parent he happened to choose, Rachel's mom (Marlo Thomas). I have nothing against Marlo Thomas, but her presence on the series as Rachel's mom was not necessarily as memorable as the previous sitcom moms and dads. So it was a criticism of a particular instance of the segment, not the entire segment. Thank you. I will go back to my studying and paper writing now.

No comments:

Post a Comment